Who can apply?
To apply for a Carers Personal Budget you must:
- be aged over 18
- be providing on-going regular and substantial care (usually in excess of 10 hours unpaid care per week) to someone aged 18 or over
- be caring for a person who is living at home and who is a resident of Westminster
- have had a Carers Assessment or re-assessment prior to completing the Carers Personal Budget application form
- be an unpaid carer
- be providing support to someone who is entitled to a community care assessment of their needs
You do not have to be living with the person you are caring for.
How do I apply for a Carers Personal Budget?
Following a separate Carers Assessment or re-assessment, eligible carers will be given information about the scheme. You will then be supported by your Assessor to complete an application form. There are 7 questions which will help calculate the amount to be awarded.
Successful applicants will then receive:
- a letter
- a copy of the application form
- an information leaflet
- an acceptance form
- a ‘record of spend’ form
You will be asked to return the acceptance form with your bank details (in a pre-paid envelope) to Westminster City Council’s finance department who will then arrange payment.
What is a Carers Assessment?
If you provide regular and substantial care to someone who is over 18, then you might be entitled to a carer’s assessment. A carer’s assessment is not a test of your ability to care. It is an opportunity to look at your own needs as a carer and how you can be supported to fulfil your caring role.
Carers have a right to an assessment even if the cared for person refuses, provided that the cared for person is eligible for community care services. You need to have a carers’ assessment in order to apply for a Carers Personal Budget.